1. As Colleges Around the Country Join #Mizzou Protests, Howard Students Report Online Death Threats. Atlanta Blackstar. November 12, 2015. https://atlantablackstar.com/2015/11/12/as-colleges-around-the-country-join-mizzou-protests-howard-students-report-online-death-threats. Accessed December 1, 2015.
2. Foundation for Individual Rights in Education. Yale University students protest Halloween costume email
. YouTube. November 6, 2015. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IEFD_JVYd0. Accessed December 1, 2015.
3. Clark CM, Springer PJ. Thoughts on incivility. student and faculty perceptions of uncivil behavior in nursing education. Nurs Educ Perspect. 2007;28:93-97. http://www.nlnjournals.org/doi/full/10.1043/1536-5026%282007%29028%5B0093%3ATOISAF%5D2.0.CO%3B2 Accessed December 1, 2015.
4. Cipriano RE. Facilitating a Collegial Department in Higher Education: Strategies for Success, 1st Edition. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2011. https://www.mtholyoke.edu/sites/default/files/deanoffaculty/docs/18%20facilitating%20a%20collegial%20department.pdf. Accessed December 1, 2015
5. 76% Say Americans Becoming More Rude, Less Civilized. Rasmussen Reports. August 4, 2011. http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/lifestyle/general_lifestyle/july_2011 /76_say_americans_becoming_more_rude_less_civilized. Accessed December 1, 2015.
6. Lane SD, McCourt H. Uncivil communication in everyday life: a response to Benson’s “The Rhetoric of Civility.” Journal of Contemporary Rhetoric. 2013;3:17-29.
7. Carter SL. Civility. Manners, Morals and the Etiquette of Democracy. New York: Harper Perennial; 1998.
8. Kernberg OF. An overview of the treatment of severe narcissistic pathology. Int J Psychoanal. 2014;95:865-888.
9. Twenge JM, Campbell WK. The Narcissism Epidemic: Living in the Age of Entitlement. Atria Books; 2010.
10. Knoll JL, Pies RW. Mounties, cowboys, avengers—and the cultural script of gun violence. Psychiatric Times. November 9, 2015. http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/blogs/mounties-cowboys-avengers-and-cultural-script-gun-violence. Accessed December 1, 2015.
11. Greenberg MT, Weissberg RP, O’Brien MU, et al. Enhancing school-based prevention and youth development through coordinated social, emotional, and academic learning. Am Psychol. 2003;58:466-474.
12. Pies RW. The eight-fold path of internet ethics: a primer for health care professionals. Psychiatric Times. January 5, 2011. http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/couch-crisis/eight-fold-path-internet-ethics-primer-health-care-professionals. Accessed December 1, 2015.
For further reading:
Blow CM. Race, college and safe space. New York Times. November 16, 2015. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/16/opinion/race-college-and-safe-space.html?_r=0
Moffic HS: Narcissism and gender in leadership. Psychiatric Times. November 12, 2015. http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/blogs/narcissism-and-gender-leadership. Accessed December 1, 2015.