Blog Update: Applied Behavior Analysis & Play Therapy
This blog, “Reflections from a Children’s Therapist,” has consisted mostly of blog posts based on my experiences, education, and thoughts regarding play therapy and general mental health therapy with kids. However, I have decided to make a slight switch in my focus on this blog.
To self-disclose a bit, I have been working as an Applied Behavior Analysis Technician and as a Supervisor of ABA Technicians. Additionally, I have been working toward becoming a Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA). I should be fully certified by the beginning of 2016. In the meantime, I am working full-time in the field and gaining great knowledge and experience along the way.
As I still have play therapy in my roots, I will likely address that topic from time to time. However, I will be using this blog to discuss topics that are more related to my current and new future career path. Some topics that will be discussed in upcoming blog posts include:
- Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) as it applies to:
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Ex: reducing maladaptive behaviors & increasing skills
- Ex: increasing appropriate communication skills
- Ex: improving social skills
- Ex: increasing attention span and focus
- Learning Disabilities (including Dyslexia)
- Ex: improving reading and spelling skills
- Ex: how to get your child to stop whining during homework time
- Ex: how to get your kids to sit still at dinner time
- Ex: how to get your kids to follow a routine independently
- Personal Development
- Ex: creating and sustaining new habits
- Ex: eating healthier
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
See this link from the Center for Autism for an informative description of ABA. Part of their description states:
“Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) is the application of the principles of learning and motivation from Behavior Analysis, and the procedures and technology derived from those principles, to the solution of problems of social significance. Many decades of research have validated treatments based on ABA.”
Additionally, this blog, previously known as “Reflections from a Children’s Therapist,” will be renamed, “Reflections in Applied Behavior Analysis.”
Thanks for reading this update on my blog. I will be providing new posts soon.
Please share any thoughts or ideas you might have for topics that you would be interested in having me write about or any questions you might have related to ABA, parenting, or any of the specific (or related) disorders that I mentioned above.
Image Credit: Author: Brian Jackson via Fotalia
Gilmore, H. (2015). Blog Update: Applied Behavior Analysis & Play Therapy. Psych Central. Retrieved on April 23, 2018, from https://pro.psychcentral.com/child-therapist/2015/05/blog-update-applied-behavior-analysis-play-therapy/