If a fairy godmother could grant a wish, what would it be? The answer is most likely an area of life needing some type of change. It could be financial, professional, relational, spiritual, physical, mental or emotional. Whatever the topic, it is possible to change without the help of a fairy godmother.
Change can be negative or positive. Positive change often requires intention and focus whereas negative change frequently is an undesirable or unintentional outcome. Use these steps to move forward in a constructive manner.
- Real change must begin with acknowledging a problem. The awareness can come from outside influences, a negative or undesirable consequence or an inner private struggle. Sometimes, admitting to a problem requires a daily ritual. Otherwise, a person might minimize the issue and revert back to old patterns.
- Unless a person accepts responsibility for the problem, there can be no change. Blaming others for a current state will not move a person forward. Rather, He or she tends to remain stuck without any significant progress. Even a small dose of accountability for the situation is effective in moving forward.
- Find the motivation to begin the process of change by appealing towards a desired outcome. This is the time to dream and imagine the impact the change will make.
- It all begins with taking a first step. For some, the first step will be the hardest, for others continuing on a consistent path is more difficult. Having measurable and realistic steps is essential to moving forward in a positive direction.
- There will be times when self-determination is not enough. A strong support system that provides assistance when asked is very beneficial. It is even better if they have gone through a similar change and can be empathetic to the process.
- During the course of change, it is a good idea to stop and assess progress. Changing just to change without evaluating can cause a worse problem to arise. This is not a daily activity; rather it is better done weekly or monthly to get big picture appraisal.
- Depending on the improvement, it might be necessary to adjust the course of action. Use the assistance of others to better assess the progress and modify future behavior if needed. Sometimes, slight changes in direction can make a big difference.
- When a milestone has been completed, applaud the success. Celebrating victories along the way make staying the course more enjoyable.
To achieve the best results, do these steps with one area at a time. Trying to accomplish too much at one time can lead to overload rendering only temporary results instead of permanent.