9 thoughts on “Warning: Misdiagnosis of Personality Disorders Can Be Damaging

• June 12, 2017 at 11:31 am

Guess which of each couple decided to quit therapy.

• June 13, 2017 at 12:24 am

I had a very annoying habit of portraying symptoms of mental illness during my 40s to which various professional misdiagnoses were attached, because I had no memory of the major life incident which had caused these.
    In my 50’s it turned out that when I was a toddler, I’d been involved in a near death experience at the hands of a parent , who had then ran off with another woman, all of which was covered up by my mother with a whopper, partially out of the shame, but also her own disappearance, until the courts awarded me to her.
    Eat your heart out Woody Allen anti hero…lol
    But as can be observed I have largely managed to objectify the source of grief and moved on after dealing with a huge amount of pain and anger and trying to reverse the effects of the anxiety driven state in which I had lived most of my life.
    I like to say I’m now almost normal, whatever the hell that is, but that may just be a kind of calm little pool of cheeriness, and thats probably where I was , and was meant to be before that shit happened.
    Suppose I oughta grow up then…Nah in my own time,besides aint got much of that left, so its gotta be fun.

• July 31, 2017 at 10:13 am

It would be a welcome relief for many estranged/alienated grandparents to find an author willing to include the example of the adult child who uses an arm chair diagnosis to justify rendering the grandchildren and grandparents completely invisible to each other while essentially burying the grandparents alive when writing articles like this. Making mention of the thousands of therapists out there who enable that kind of damaging behavior would be just as welcome for a change.

• June 7, 2018 at 1:32 pm

Hello,

My life changed afer a huge car crash within 30 seconds after a fall of 30 feet and several tunnels all that was left was my little space my head bangged so hard . I was brought to the hospital but in shock left…. Huge mistake, I had no more short term memory, I couln’t even remember people anymore misplacing a paper was causing me great anxiety, I would forget everything right of way it cased me panic so I went to consult . For 3 years I tried to explain to Doctor’s that it was like the electrical circuit of my mind had created another way for me to process informations like instead of doing A-B-C-D-E it was now maybe doing C-D-E-A-B and for many years thereafter I had to cope with it on my own since instead of helping me I was diagnosed with bordeline personality I had more drugs administered to me than the biggest Juncky arounfd wich made me real sick and loose my hair. I was 29 , at 45 while aboard a cab a lady came crashing into us. Again undiagnosed at first , I went back because of great physical pain and was then diagnosed out of Country at the NIH for having Sub-clinical Cushing’s syndrome and PTSD with depression and anxiety . For those years I truly believe I had a bordeline personality but while at the NIH they assured me I did not. I was stunned . Now 51 I would like to get closure for myself and my family and I am now embarking in a journey of courage. Being diagnosed with bordeline personality has been very damagable for me all throughout my life yet here in my Country they refused to treat me for what I truly suffer.

• August 5, 2019 at 2:44 am

I wish that the psychologist who misdiagnosed me with BPD looked beyond my surface. I was a high functioning alcoholic and no one knew. I showed up piss drunk at every appointment and she never noticed. She slapped the BPD label on me after just two visits. Once I quit drinking, all of my crazy symptoms went away. Imagine that!