11 thoughts on “5 Types of People Who Are Naturally Attracted to Each Other

• December 13, 2017 at 1:05 pm

Nice summary.
    Mind if I use this with my clients?
    I think it would be a great reinforcer of a lot of principles they learn in treatment.
    (I have been working with a variety of issues for 40 years, with a particular interest in how abusive patterns get passed down intergenerationally) This includes chemical dependency, alcoholism, the children of both, codependency, sexual abuse victims, people that aggressively act out sexually, etc.)
    Of course, I will retain all links to you, and information about you.

• December 13, 2017 at 4:38 pm

Thank you so much for posting this article because it’s just the right information for me. My dad was a violent alcoholic, and from the day I was born he targeted me, but at the same time he idealized my sister. He was very cruel emotionally, mentally and physically to me. I’m now 33 years into my third abusive marriage; my first husband was an alcoholic and number two was emotionally and mentally cruel. Both my sister and mother were very close and I was the outsider.

For decades I’ve been trying to think my way out of this marriage, as well as trying so hard to figure out what was wrong with me and why men abused me. I grew up feeling flawed… the bad child! I know now that I was scapegoated in the family. Both my sister and mother were malicious to me. However complex the underlying issues are with me, I did come to realize that a pattern had formed and couldn’t for the life of me understand what I was doing wrong. Your comment about having had a bad relationship with a parent, then being drawn to an abusive partner because, on a deep level the person wants to heal the hurt with the parent. (paraphrasing)…that is me right down to a tee. At last I have the answer.

Both my parents are long dead but I never found healing with them because they were screwed up. My sister is still malicious and has managed to turn other family members against me. Every lie that comes out of her mouth is destructive and there is nothing I can do. However, I can rise above it all and I’ve distanced myself from her because she is very toxic. My sister’s family are all messed up which is a reflection of her. Alas, I’ve been blessed to have a lovely son, he’s sensitive, caring, intelligent an hard working. My boy is the best thing that has happened to me and he has made my life worth living for.

Thank you again!

• July 14, 2019 at 6:28 pm

YOU are worth living life for too! Once you heal and change your damaged sense of selves, you will thrive and blossom!

• December 19, 2017 at 3:10 am

You flat out nailed this topic in it’s entirety. Exceedingly comprehensive and well done, which in my experience is rare on this site. In fact, this is the first article I have read absent of personal bias, in addition to informed research necessary to help others. Very much appreciated!

• December 21, 2017 at 10:41 am

Since all the feedback glorifies your article I’m gonna try your advice and do the opposite, sort of represent the parent you ache to establish a better relationship with. How can I simply read a page and retrain a brain? So much of what I do and the decisions I make are subconscious in the first place, making change as probable as getting the lead in a Spielberg movie. Your approach is along the same line as Nancy Reagan’s slogan “Just Say No” to drugs. Ok, enough sarcasm.

Thank you from the bottom of my oft-confused heart for sharing this well-written, organized, and illuminating knowledge. I’ve spent years sensing some of the information but it’s comforting and empowering to have it reinforced by an expert. Thank you so much for this wonderful gift. Merry Christmas and happy holidays Ms. Hammond.

• July 14, 2019 at 6:25 pm

This article was very common sense based. Where did you attain your data?