8 thoughts on “How the Narcissistic Trauma Bond Ensnares

• February 26, 2018 at 7:54 pm

so perfectly described. It was like rewinding my life back to the days she had me. Now that she does not it is so easy to see the narcissism and the abuse – but man when you are stuck in that hole and think you could never again find someone so perfect as that person – it is sadly so hard to break the thought pattern that you stay. And go back again and again. Ugh… thank you for this article – it is exactly how it plays out in real life

• February 26, 2018 at 11:31 pm

This is an awful place to be and I have experienced it with a sibling. The worst part about this situation is that nobody else wanted to see it. My family of origin just swept it under the carpet. I have no contact with this person anymore but it took me a long time to untangle myself from the relationship and begin to heal. The journey is not one for the feint hearted; I have needed all my courage to keep moving forward out of this nightmare. Thank goodness it is all behind me.

• February 28, 2018 at 6:33 am

This is one of the most easy-to-read, concise descriptions of narcissism I’ve ever read. Kudos to you, Kristine Hammond. And what a great friend who was so acutely aware and could help put a stop to it. I, too, was in that situation w/my husband and without a family of origin and very few friends who weren’t ensnared by his otherwise charming personality, it took a lot of research, then therapy, separately on both of our parts to end that cycle of emotional abuse. Particularly since we have older daughters convinced dad could do know wrong.

I recognize I’m a lucky one; so many narcissists won’t acknowledge their roles, more less get help for it. Divorce papers opened his eyes. And 99% of my knowledge came from this site. I cannot thank you all enough. You helped restore a marriage and find a path to a happy, healthy, honest relationship.

• November 6, 2018 at 5:28 am

This describes it all perfectly.. my life as it was..23 year married to one.. i always knew he wasn’t normal but no idea why he was like he was. I finally left after 23 years… we had 10 year of no actual contact but our 3 daughters who had very little contact with him used to tell me he was still the same going through girl friends at an alarming rate… after 10 year i saw him and he said he regretted how he had been and regretted not being a proper husband and father…i was scared but once i had to go back to him. Give the girls the family life back with a good dad…. it didn’t happen.. the abuse started really quick … an old gf of his rooks me he was the cruelest man she had ever met and he was a narcissist…i looked it up and omg… he sure was of the highest degree…i stayed 7 year .. he was more abuse the ever… didn’t want or girls coming round . We had 4 more grand children during those 7 year .. he wanted very little to do with family. . worked away all week wick he promised me during the love bombing he didn’t want to do any more…. the girls were telling me to leave… and i did many times… he would also throw me out on a whim…. if ever he said anything nude to me…i would know something was coming my way… it was 7 year of hell… and they do get even worse as they get older. . I’m still not over the trauma of it all 18 months later… I’m so annoyed with myself at getting sucked back in ..