Comments on
Are You a Narcissist?

Brenda stumbled upon the definition of narcissism while googling difficult bosses. Curious, she began reading several articles on the subject. At first, she only saw her boss as narcissistic but…

18 thoughts on “Are You a Narcissist?

• May 9, 2018 at 9:27 am

I was going to say I have a lot of narcissistic but after reading the list I don’t fit most of it. Only that I often feel I’m intellectually and physically superior to most. I got 160 on an IQ test in my youth. I still love to study higher math and any of the sciences. I do know that I have some kind of personality disorder. Even my dad said I was basically worthless. Not criminal but a heavy drinker and underachiever, have a hard time completing most anything. I have managed to support myself but not easy. Most employers expressed strong dislike of me. Not someone you’d want your daughter to marry for sure. Now at the end of life I try to compensate for all the trash I’ve littered life with. But we’re not here for fun. Were here to struggle and learn. We all have many lifetimes for that purpose. I work hard on projection of consciousness-lucid dreaming and out of body experience in order to get direct access to the subconscious, where there is superior intellect-for understanding and problem solving, creativity.

• May 9, 2018 at 12:19 pm

There is a lot of overlap between several personality disorders. Oftentimes, a person is a combination of more than one with traits of a couple different ones.

• May 9, 2018 at 10:06 am

I’m sure my mother is a narcissist., and I can see many of these traits in her. However, I don’t think a narcissist would be able to answer these questions honestly. To answer yes would be admitting her own flaws, which is exactly what a narcissist cannot do, am I wrong? 🙂

• May 9, 2018 at 12:32 pm

The narcissist that I unfortunately hired under pressure had no feeling, only saw himself, and a week later his accreditation was found to be falsified but he had the charm of persuasion of senior management because in a way a few he connected to were a reflection of him.

I did not want his presence but he had a playbook of Q&A to impress his superiors especially on the phone or stuck to topics he could get others to love his presence by pretending to listen.

What I missed was his smirk. Then when a famous airforce commander was caught for his indiscretions I noticed in a picture both had the same similar smirk. Smirks feel they know it all and are always ahead of everyone. It is a dead give away it’s all about themselves.

And they never hear your story but say one word about them or any family member they run around telling others and gets total forgiveness eventually by the staff he is using to keep his control and his manager got fired over it .

So the playbook becomes like a free range untouchable playboy .Hence the narcissist is alive and well breaking daily everybody’s wellness coming into contact with one and totally drained and washed out on those people who just did not meet his expectations in his control of them.

Going on to be the President by default he was called into a head office meeting as the company was possibly going up for sale .Iin passing the others highly educated in both tech. and business realized he was operating from his self playbook when he went into headoffice.

He resigned from the subsidiary office and opening his own business a copy of the one he left and causing another member to be finally shunned and made to be an outcast and the clients bought so his tentacles caused the manager to lose any further opportunities and be rejected from the industry.

This narcissist was never caught out because his playbook phrases were magnanimous and always spoken to counter and cripple anyone who opposed him. Many paid for his ways of being perfect and using the phrase how may I help you was his test way to say how are you going to help poor me.If you replied do your job you are making more money than the staff who look after you. This response he found warlike and set out in any way to destroy anyone who opposed.

And apparently over the years was successful and never ending so if you are in a jail with a narcissist in work, friendship, marriage or any other breakout before you are broke and broken and if impossible to leave you will continue to self adsorb his totality of his me into your not-me and succumb to his demeaning and bullying ways and become his victim into perpetuity .

Only you can decide your own way out and if there is no way out for you at least you will be aware you are not alone unless help is available which for this hidden disease is a living cancer that grows and grows because the living narcissist injects you everyday with his poison and you just adsorb and adsorb into your body,mind and soul without any way out of the darkness into the light you deserve.

• May 9, 2018 at 1:46 pm

that test can’t tell me anything. The questions are too ambiguous. Like the first one.. Maybe a person feels that way once in a while or about certain things such as…maybe they are actually skilled in something and are actually a better trumpet player, or perhaps they have been a carpenter for 30 years, compared to one who is new…of course you would be “better” in job performance…..so I don’t see haow any Health care person would ebven put those open questions to determine a persons qualities…..it seems to be a misleading test to bring interest to your site rather than substantial information….more like pop psych sorry, maybe I’m a narcissist….lol

• May 9, 2018 at 3:08 pm

Just a copy and paste job from countless “20 traits of malignant narcissism” type articles on the Internet. Nothing new or original here.

• May 9, 2018 at 8:45 pm

I’ve taken the Narcissist test before, wondering about myself. I answered, “NO,” to almost all of the questions above. But then I have read about the “Vulnerable Narcissist.” Those notions seemed to fit me. I concluded that Narcissism is about empty-heartedness, whether “Aggressive” or “Vulnerable.” Seems like so many folks are just hurting and it can take time and effort to understand why we are the way we are, and then make personal changes. There are many pejorative labels for people, which don’t resonate with how they see their own reality, because there is no two-way communication to allow insight. And often, nobody says anything to the offender, so there is no exchange of understanding. (But often they talk behind their backs….I’ve seen that a lot.) Guess It’s hard to know what to say, especially to the aggressive ones.

People are often inept, ignorant, clueless, trying to cope the best they can….even the nasty ones. I think we are conditioned animals who learned to survive in the environment into which we were born. Of course, change is possible and with effort and time, ones true loving, sensitive nature can emerge to the degree one cultivates and allows. The great thing is, now there is more helpful information for those who have to deal with Narcissists! Perhaps they, too, have a “diagnosis” since we are all challenged with “stuff” at one time or another – or always!

I’m not for throwing away people, and recently came across “The Radical Forgiveness Worksheet” which might help folks understand how their own associations fit in their own personal “life’s challenges” puzzle. If one can follow the threads, it can be an exciting, sometimes painful, enriching inner journey, no matter what….. and I’m seventy-four! Still excited! And still probably a vulnerable narcissist, in spite of not wanting to be….Sometimes it’s impossible to erase those deep conclusions about who we are and how we matter – or don’t…….

Thank you for your efforts to help so many. Seems like each person makes such an effort to make the world a better place, just working to survive and learn how to cope better. And sometimes they make the world a MUCH better place! Like you…. And that is an admirable goal for all of us, each in our own way…..

P.S. to you young hurting kiddos: If your mother is a narcissist, you might want to find a therapist who has done “mother work” before you throw your mother away. Mother’s Day is coming, and remember, she loved you and probably still loves you, no matter how ineptly…. There must be some way to salvage such an important connection.

• May 10, 2018 at 5:36 am

There has got to be a direct connection between narcissism and depression. When I am depressed I can only think of myself. Woa is me! I’m not sure what sets off my depressive episodes (even after 50 or 60 years) but I go into the me,me me mode and stay there until I recover. While this depression is almost so familiar that it sometimes seems to be my “safe place”, I truly hate what it does to those around me and my long term productivity. Also I hate being a narcissist, even temporarily. That’s not who I really am. What to do?

• May 10, 2018 at 9:22 am

There isn’t. A narcissist can be depressed but a depressed person is not a narcissist. It may feel that way but that is the depression talking.

• May 10, 2018 at 8:47 pm

What is there to gain by leaving snarky comments about the article?If it doesn’t resonate with you and you have no helpful feedback to make it better, why not accept that and move on?