6 thoughts on “7 Things Children of Divorced Parents Need to Hear

• June 6, 2018 at 11:58 am

I with everything except: ‘especially if it’s a biological parent’. I adopted my step daughter’s daughter with my partner. I was the baby’s mom since day 1. Now she is 7 and my partner and I divorced 2 years ago. My ex and ex step daughter have decided that my stepdaughter is Mom, my ex is Grandma and I am “someone to visit”. That is confusing and damaging despite my lack of shared dna with my daughter. I know you did not mean that this behavior is ok, it just struck a nerve.

• June 6, 2018 at 3:32 pm

I know a person who did these things and his children (now all adults) are still emotionally immature, self-absorbed and somewhat abusive toward him and neglectful of their mother, who has untreated emotional issues. He has had enormous problems with having a long-term relationship with any other person for his (adult) children create problems for him and the other person. All but one has left, citing the behavior of the children.

Sometimes, you can do everything right, but if you are the only one (the mother did not engage in this), it doesn’t work out.

• June 6, 2018 at 3:43 pm

If a marriage is ending due to abuse, would all these still apply (ex. not blaming the other spouse for the end of the marriage)? Are there other things a child in that situation would need to hear?