12 thoughts on “Understanding Mental Abuse: Gaslighting

• August 4, 2015 at 11:29 am

I was in this kind of relationship for almost 27 years. By the end, I was second guessing myself constantly and if I was going insane! I finally stopped reacting to things and would sit there stone faced and hearted and that made him even more angry telling me that I was uncaring and cold towards him and his feelings. I finally left the relationship and tried to move to another state to get away from him. Sadly I had to move back to the state fortunately he left the area.

• August 5, 2015 at 1:00 pm

Sorry, just wanted to say it’s MR. Spock, not Dr. Spock. Dr. Spock is an authority on babies, Mr. Spock is a Vulcan.

• August 5, 2015 at 10:59 pm

I think I’m in this situation, I’m not sure tho. The things I’m yelled at for, I don’t understand why. I have back issues and my mom seems to think I’m faking them. Today my doctor told me to take the next two days off because of back pain and I haven’t told my mom yet bacause I’m scared to. I’m scared she’ll yell at me. What do I do?

• August 6, 2015 at 8:19 am

I was also in a gaslighting relationship and it lasted 16 years. I’ve been free for 10 years now and still need to remind myself that facts are facts and not second guess every thought, decision or belief. The worse part of being gaslighted was taking too long to follow my gut and get help for one of my kids who is mentally ill. People in this kind of relationship need to not only protect themselves, but also any children involved. Thank you for a great article. It helps so much to have a name put to what was happening and to realize that it was his problem. I just wish I’d know it earlier and taken steps to protect my own mental health!

• August 6, 2015 at 10:07 pm

I am following doctors orders. My problem is my mom. I was scared to tell her I had the time off. I knew she’d yell at me. It happens a lot when im not good enough or let her down somehow. I didn’t know how to tell her without getting yelled at. How can I talk to her without feeling like I’m not good enough?

• August 7, 2015 at 7:53 am

One of the hardest lessons to learn is that no one can “make” you feel anything you don’t allow. Take the focus off your mom and strengthen you.

• November 23, 2016 at 4:48 pm

hey doc , what if your parents are narcissistic and i getting gas lighter by some well the people who live like on the same street as me. i feel lke it getting wrost. and i feel like i goig insane .it so bad i drop out of school. it happes at school.