20 thoughts on “The Unfortunate Connection Between Lyme Disease and Mental Illness

• July 28, 2019 at 4:28 pm

As someone who has been coping with Lyme disease, chronic illness, and all that comes with for well over 41 years (mainly bedridden the the past 19yrs), thank you for this article; your compassion and true understanding of (Lyme) this life-altering, debilitating disease.

• July 30, 2019 at 8:58 pm

The connection involves gaslighting mentally ill people into thinking their brain disease is fake & convincing them to dangerously treat for a fake chronic Lyme diagnosis. Real mental illness goes untreated, they die by suic*de, & Lyme advocates mourn another lost to “Lyme.”

• August 1, 2019 at 6:13 pm

Wow. That is a deeply ignorant comment. Lyme IS a brain disease. I have confirmed neurological Lyme, and it has caused many problems, among which are increased depression and anxiety, and even dark thoughts that I never had before.
      Please realize that what you are doing now is actually gaslighting Lyme patients into thinking they’re imagining their symptoms, which is exactly what you’re condemning in regard to “brain disease.” I am sure that you mean well- but PLEASE read more about neuropsychiatric Lyme (there are several academic papers on JSTOR that are written by PhDs) before you say things like this with such authority.

• August 1, 2019 at 10:32 am

Thank you for writing such a compassionate understanding on the emotional problems associated with Lyme disease. Im currently going through all the as I’ve symptoms plus intense bone pain. It’s so hard to find people that understand the great deal of pain associated with Lyme especially people that are not actually going through it. Thank you

• August 5, 2019 at 8:56 am

Thank you – the article is 100% correct and after dealing with OCD for 15 years I was diagnosed with Lyme by the nations leader (Leigner) and an Igenex test along with Bartonella and babesia.

The issue really now is what’s next. There are no providers, especially that want to go against the CDC to treat this for what it is.

• August 11, 2019 at 9:58 pm

What are recommendations for testing for Lyme Disease to rule this in ot out?

• June 8, 2020 at 12:51 pm

I was diagnosed with Lyme disease 3 years ago and my journey has been terrible.

Brain fog, confusion, facial numbness, loss of speech, anger, depression, suicidal thoughts and anxiety are just a few of my symptoms.

I am 38 years old and have 3 children. I am extremely active, love to hike and be outdoors. This disease has changed my life forever. I avoid large gatherings, get tired very easily, get frustrated for no apparent reason, have OCD that makes living difficult.

I’ve never left a comment regarding lyme, but felt lead to help and support anyone looking to find people with the same unfortunate condition. I am also very spiritual and try to read and meditate often. Eating healthy is extremely important and avoiding alcohol at all cost.

Thank you Christine for all you do for our community. You are appreciated!!

• June 14, 2020 at 10:01 pm

I think it would be a good idea for the author to get a real good understanding of what psychosomatic truly means. It does not mean that it’s all in the patient’s head. It simply means there is a mind / body connection. For example, if 2 people had the same affliction, and one patient had clinical depression and the other was mentally healthy, then the depressed person what unfortunately see more symptoms manifest. Just for example. When one uses the term psychosomatic correctly, they are NOT saying their symptoms are not 100% real.

• August 10, 2020 at 6:10 pm

My 17-yr-old daughter is experiencing terrible depression and anxiety, along with shooting joint pains, etc. from Lyme. She’s gone thru the antibiotics and now is on herbal supplements. While I appreciate reading another verification that these are real symptoms Lyme sufferers battle, what we really need to know is what can bring relief? Besides SSRI meds that temporarily band-aid the pain and possibly cause worse symptoms. What is out there to help Lyme depression and anxiety?

• August 29, 2020 at 3:44 pm

I feel for all of you.. we are in the process of having my son tested for Lyme disease… he has all of the symptoms… and the metal anguish He is going through is heartbreaking…he was homeless for a few years a very long way from home..he declined mentally quickly… we thought it was drugs.. but there seems to be no sign of that..