8 thoughts on “Difference between Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

• July 18, 2016 at 10:13 pm

Hi, I was under the impression that OCD was much more treatable than OCPD. Can you please tell me what you think are the best ways to treat OCPD? Thank you!

• July 21, 2016 at 7:16 am

It depends on the severity of OCD, some conditions are treatable while others are a lifelong struggle. OCPD is treated through psychoeducation and therapy. In my experience, they respond well to individual therapy where the disorder is identified and openly addressed.

• August 3, 2017 at 2:33 am

I was surprised to see that I have one of the OCPD traits- “Shows perfectionism that interferes with task completion because his or her own overly strict standards are not met.” My father has OCPD, I believe. My sister also has 3 of the traits, I believe.

• October 27, 2017 at 5:23 am

The title of this blog, “The Exhausted Woman,” says it all. My husband and my oldest daughter both have all the traits of OCPD. Literally all of them. (My oldest is only 12, though, and doesn’t qualify for any PD diagnosis.)

Many of the traits are mitigated or softened by ADHD treatment–as their working memory improves, thanks to the medication, they’re able to make better cause/effect connections, and therefore see things like, “Oh, saving every single paper from school means we’ll be swimming in paper.” I’m AMAZED at how much stuff we’ve gotten rid of in the last 3-4 years.

(Ha! I wrote a number of years, then thought, “Is that accurate?” I changed it THREE TIMES because I have developed an internal censor that says, “Oh lookey, if it’s not correct, SOMEONE will call me out on it!!)

My youngest daughter is also starting to show OCD-type symptoms as well. (I have 4 kids.) Do you know what an OCD preschooler is like? Since I’ve had two now, let me share:
    -It is possible to own two different Elsa dresses and complain about the difference between them.
    -Meltdowns involve things like, “I have a drop of water on my Elsa dress, and want to take it off, but I don’t want to take off my Elsa dress, and I CAN’T STAND THE TENSION!”
    -Food has to be perfect. Eggs can be too salty, or not salty enough, but I have yet to encounter an egg with the appropriate amount of salt. Ever.
    -Hunger is a bodily function that must be CONTROLLED until the egg has the appropriate amount of saltiness. Because anything less than perfectly salted eggs cannot go into my body.
    -Starvation is a completely appropriate response to inappropriately salted eggs.

Now, notice that I’ve mentioned exactly two categories of objects: Elsa dresses, and eggs. There are so many more categories of objects int he universe, and all of which can be perfected in some way. All of which can be argued about. And it’s absolutely Mom’s fault if all of them are not perfect.

“The Exhausted Woman?” Yep, that’s me. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz………….

• September 13, 2018 at 6:53 pm

I’ve just began researching this subject due to a change in living circumstances. I’ve moved in with a good friend of 15 years and didn’t realize how extreme her perfectionism and orderliness went. I have a 4 year old son and am so worried this will be ingrained in him now. I fear bringing up the subject because it’s never her problem, always everyone else that is in the wrong. Does anyone have helpful tips for me to not get sucked in and protect my sanity and my son until I can afford to move? I’ve noticed I’ve started doing some of the quirky things myself and it’s only been 4 months! And the hoarding…that’s a whole page in itself…