18 thoughts on “10 Worst Things You Can Say to a Highly Sensitive Person

• September 14, 2016 at 5:00 am

That’s me except I do not eat food slow ,quite the opposite.mi attribute that to a past life where I suffered from hunger ( at least I think that is the likely cause)

• September 14, 2016 at 12:02 pm

This all applies strongly to me as an autistic adult too. Often autism in intelligent women can be confused with high sensitivities and moodiness.

• September 15, 2016 at 10:30 pm

Came to read this blog as thought that I would learn how to be careful when dealing with others as noticed many people seem highly sensitive , in today’s world.

What I shock when I learned not just something about how to do that, but also, that ‘I am a highly sensitive person, too!’ I read it to my husband, as knew he would ” get it” as we have been married almost 50 yrs and he would see right away how it fits my profile, perfectly. Good or bad ,it is true and he needs to know it is not ” just me” being overemotional etc.

He enjoyed it and learned so much, but than he added a new one ” That’s it? You will be alright!” This is what he said after I read it! lol Immediately , I set him straight and retorted “No, I won’t, as I am a highly sensitive person!” 🙂

This is all true, and yet found it funny as it fits me and I knew this is exactly what was needed to complete my night . Thinking it was other’s like this and I needed to know what to say or rather not to say, and then realized it was about me too!

Thank you again, as you really do have such insightful articles and need to read them as much as possible.

• September 17, 2016 at 5:50 am

Good share Christine,

Highly sensitive people are too often perceived as weak or broken. But to feel intensely is not a symptom of weakness, it is the characteristic of a truly alive and compassionate human being. It is not the sensitive person who is broken, it is society’s understanding that has become dysfunctional and emotionally incapacitated. There is zero shame in expressing your authentic feelings.

Those who are at times described as being ‘too emotional’ or ‘complicated’ are the very fabric of what keeps the dream alive for a more thoughtful, caring, humane world. Never be ashamed to let your feelings, smiles and tears shine a light in this world.

It’s like you were born missing a protective layer of skin that others seem to have

i learn actions that can take to stop struggling and start thriving, such as :

Look for the hidden positivity in every situation and soak it up.
    Seek out kindred spirits (and know that you are NOT alone).
    Tell my self, as often as necessary, that you are not a fraud.
    Quit searching for someone or something to fix you.
    Find new spins on old flaws.
    Create healthy boundaries, not rigid emotional walls.

I blog regularly about mental healthy and lifehack issues on my own blog “freeitout.com” feel free to visit.

Cheers 🙂

• September 17, 2016 at 12:29 pm

hi there
    thanks for the article. i too am very sensitive… the favorite phase growing up as a child was “stop being so sensitive”…. finally many years later i realize my sensitivity is a gift not a curse as i had perceived it when i was younger.

• September 25, 2016 at 10:52 pm

Here’s another: “Why do you care so much?”

Most times, I really struggle with communicating my thoughts and feelings, so it hurts even more when they get brushed aside or ignored.

• November 29, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Sorry, but not all highly sensitive people are the same. Some are more sensitive to certain things but others to others.

When my 18-mo. baby cried over a commercial on TV that had silly things happening to stuffed animals, I couldn’t figure out at first what had happened to her, but then I realized she empathized with the animals. Somehow then I discovered the book The Highly Sensitive Child, & when I read about the emotional parts I thought, ‘That’s her exactly.’ The social parts, somewhat; the physical parts, hardly at all. But the physical parts & most of the social parts applied a lot to me, while I was the opposite of the emotional parts.

So on the test on the HSP site, the only things not true for me are the parts about caffeine, arts, music, & knowing what makes other people comfortable, also the part about other people’s moods maybe somewhat true. But I don’t think I’d ever notice the ‘slightest change in mood’, & I have little grasp of other people’s emotions. And I don’t tend to get outwardly emotional. My daughter’s probably the opposite of those. I think it has to do with personality-type. Mine’s INTP & hers is ISFP (she’s 11 now).

You’re right that other people don’t know how I feel: I don’t know either! 🙂 And a lot of them have told me I think too much, but really I think as much as I need to, which is immense amounts. I’d rather consider instead that I need to do too much I can’t do while thinking, like sleeping & any complicated chores. 🙂 And I’ve learned to eat fast, because worse than not getting to savor hot food fully is eating it when it’s gotten cold, & because I have another baby now, who needs lots of attention, & needs lots of milk so I have to really hurry to eat even more. She’s physically highly sensitive (e.g. had to be switched from cloth to disposable diapers because wet cloth caused meltdowns, & even the disposable causes it if she’s in the car; glad she’s about to outgrow all diapers at only 9 mos. so I can insist to my husband that I will potty-train her now! 🙂 ) & emotionally, she can be excitable & have a short temper, but is often just serious & calm. Other than that, I’m waiting to see more development.

Thanks for the article.

• November 29, 2016 at 5:57 pm

You are right, not all HSPs are the same. Having made mistakes in the past with highly sensitive people, I wrote this article to help those of us who do not have it.

• May 16, 2018 at 9:37 am

Please someone tell that to my family, they can’t hear that details are important

• November 2, 2019 at 4:38 am

My mother thinks I’m too sensitive
    I CAN’T help the way I am, @ least I care about others also I have a good friend I tell more tovthan my own family