Comments on
What Causes Exhaustion?

For many clients, the physical manifestation of exhaustion is a symptom of deeper psychological issues. They may report feeling tired, overwhelmed, anxious, or even depressed. On the surface, they may…

8 thoughts on “What Causes Exhaustion?

• May 22, 2015 at 9:35 pm

I think the outfit, as described, reeks of greatness. This isn’t bungee-jumping. The young woman is experimenting with her autonomy in a safe way. If she’s mocked by her peers, she can deal with that then. Maybe the conformists will take some cues from this young artist. You were smart to see your reaction’s source was from your own past. -Detach! Rewatch “Pretty in Pink!”

• May 24, 2015 at 5:38 pm

I appreciate all the comments. We should also remember that sometimes exhaustion has a physical origin and too often is dismissed as an emotional issue. Many years ago I remember a wonderful physician who said my difficulty going to sleep was “nerves”. A long time after I discovered that the cup of warm cocoa I had at bedtime was, of course, loaded with caffeine. My “nerves” were “cured” by stopping the cocoa. Just be careful. This was a minor thing but it made a difference in my life.

• May 26, 2015 at 11:55 pm

I agree that the past an be draining but physical problems must be considered first. I was 65 and retired to a recliner before a doctor finally sent me to a hematologist. I have pernicious anemia. That has a genetic origin and manifest as one ages. I must have injections in order to absorb Vitamin B-12. I was so depleted of B-12 and other minerals, I could have died from seizure. After an injection, I’m able to function fine. The lab results solved a mystery: why did I go from a high level of activity to a recliner though I had very little stress.

• October 9, 2015 at 12:01 am

You said “Once physical problems are exhausted, emotional ones need to be considered”
        I wholeheartedly agree but with caution. This assumes that medical professionals know all the causes of fatigue AND that they can order the right tests. It also assumes that medical science has determined all possible causes of physical and mental fatigue, which is almost certainly not the case. I agree with your awareness that emotional residue from the past can cause physical symptoms and can be very difficult to get to the root cause. I feel great despair and sadness that our society has so de-prioritised budgets for mental illness, therapy (even physical tests), and that GP’s in the UK have only 10 mins per patient to diagnose, order tests & treat that the quality of so many peoples lives is so diminished and poor that they have lost alost everything that gives their life meaning. Darwin spoke of “survival of the fittest” and we seem to be creating a society where that is the governing principal. God help us.