It all starts with an idea, a thought, a tiny peek into a vision of what life could look like if you weren’t showing up for the 9-5 day job. But is the idea or desire to start a private practice the right next thing for you?
Here are some things to consider before you get started?
1. Do want to own a business? This means, beyond providing excellent services to your clients, you are interested in doing research for your business plan, handling the marketing, the finances and making business decisions. Seeing clients is a fraction of what you will be doing in private practice.
2. Do you have the finances to get you started? Most businesses take some equity and while private practices have start up costs, they are low compared to others. Before you even begin, it’s important to have savings in the bank and start up funds to get started. This is also a great time to start looking at your money blocks so you don’t sabotage the start up of your business.
3. Do you have great self care? Before, you might have relied on your job to set the structure for your work day but now that you are going to be in charge of it all, the stress might be different, even higher at times. You are the main instrument of the business and you have to take care of yourself in order to run the business and provide services.
4. Do you have time? Starting a private practice takes time and for some it can take over a year to really get to the point where they feel they understand what they are doing. Patience is something you are going to need in this process and the time to get it off the ground and nurtured is imperative.
5. Do you have support? From your spouse to your colleague, having people who believe in you, see your strengths and encourage will make the challenge of a private practice all the more easier. Is it a requirement? No, but something we often find that when people have support, they flourish. This is why we have our bootcamp group
, for people to be around others who know and live the story of success in private practice.
Click here to enroll in our free Private Practice Challenge and get 5 weeks of trainings, downloads, and checklists to expand, grow, or start your successful private practice!