1. Pies R: “How Antipsychotic Medication May Save Lives”
- Pies R: Long-term Antipsychotic Treatment: Effective and Often Necessary, with Caveats http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/blogs/long-term-antipsychotic-treatment-effective-and-often-necessary-caveats
- Berlim MT, Fleck MPA: Quality of life: presentation of the concept. Rev Bras Psiquiatr 2003;25(4):249-52
- The WHOQOL Group. The World Health Organization Quality of Life Assessment (WHOQOL): development and general psychometric properties. Soc Sci Med 1998;46:1569-85.
- Heinrichs DW, Hanlon TE, Carpenter WT Jr. The Quality of Life Scale: an instrument for rating the schizophrenic deficit syndrome. Schizophr Bull. 1984;10(3):388-98.
- Bobes J, Garcia-Portilla MP, Bascaran MT et al:Quality of life in schizophrenic patients. Dialogues Clin Neurosci. 2007;9(2):215-26. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3181847/
- Hamilton SH, Revicki DA, Genduso LA, Beasley CM. Olanzapine versus placebo and haloperidol: quality of life and efficacy results of the North American double-blind trial. Neuropsychopharmacology. 1998;18:41-49.
- Nasrallah HA, Duchesne I, Mehnert A et al: Health-related quality of life in patients with schizophrenia during treatment with long-acting, injectable risperidone. J Clin Psychiatry. 2004;65:531-536.
- Beasley CM Jr, Sutton VK, Taylor CC et al: Is quality of life among minimally symptomatic patients with schizophrenia better following withdrawal or continuation of antipsychotic treatment? J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2006 Feb;26(1):40-4.
- Vothknecht S, Schoevers RA, de Haan L. Subjective well-being in schizophrenia as measured with the Subjective Well-Being under Neuroleptic Treatment scale: a review. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2011 Mar;45(3):182-92.
- Leucht S, Tardy M, Komossa K, et al: Maintenance treatment with antipsychotic drugs for schizophrenia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012 May 16;(5):CD008016.
- Witte MM, Case MG, Schuh KJ, et al. Effects of olanzapine long-acting injection on levels of functioning among acutely ill patients with schizophrenia. Curr Med Res Opin. 2012 Mar;28(3):315-23. doi: 10.1185/03007995.2012.657300. Epub 2012 Jan 31.
- Isitt JJ, Nadipelli VR, Kouassi A et al: Health-related quality of life in acute schizophrenia patients treated with RBP-7000 once monthly risperidone: An 8-week, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter phase 3 study. Schizophr Res. 2016 Jul;174(1-3):126-313
- Sohler N, Adams BG, Barnes DM, et al. Weighing the evidence for harm from long-term treatment with antipsychotic medications: a systematic review. Am J Orthopsychiatry. 2015 Dec 14.
- Memon MA: Brief Psychotic Disorder http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/294416-overview
- Frances A: Setting the Record Straight on Antipsychotics http://www.huffingtonpost.com/allen-frances/setting-the-record-straig_23_b_9243828.html
For Further Reading:
Staring AB, Mulder CL, Duivenvoorden HJ et al: Fewer symptoms vs. more side-effects in schizophrenia? Opposing pathways between antipsychotic medication compliance and quality of life. Schizophr Res. 2009 Aug;113(1):27-33
Cortesi PA, Mencacci C, Luigi F, et al: Compliance, persistence, costs and quality of life in young patients treated with antipsychotic drugs: results from the COMETA study. BMC Psychiatry. 2013 Mar 22;13:98.
Strakowski SM, Johnson JL, Delbello MP, et al: HGDH Research Group. Quality of life during treatment with haloperidol or olanzapine in the year following a first psychotic episode. Schizophr Res. 2005;78(2–3):161–169
Pies R: Trivializing the suffering of psychosis. Psychiatric Times. Dec. 22, 2014. http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/schizophrenia/trivializing-suffering-psychosis