8 thoughts on “Narcissists Do Not Parent: This Explains Why You are Having Such a Hard Time!

• April 19, 2018 at 5:49 pm

I don’t agree with this. Narc parents, especially single narc parents, CAN parent–they just don’t do it well. They do have maturity, they just lack the empathy and reasoning skills to understand their children. They don’t ask “why did you do that” they simply accuse and say “don’t do that because I said so”. They expect their children to obey them and be their pawns. They don’t see their children as independent beings, but as an extensions to be used for their own gain.

• April 19, 2018 at 8:30 pm

In the end they use the children against you and then turn them against you. They use the chidren to hurt and destroy you.

• April 20, 2018 at 2:47 am

I am now going on 63 with a child that has Downs from a short lived relationship with a narc. One should never say short lived I guess, because they bother you forever. Anyway THIS is the truest thing about it I have ever read! Thank you and I wish I would have realized so much sooner. We are survivors though my daughter and I and have made a great(not good) GREAT team. She is the BEST!

• April 29, 2018 at 7:45 am

If they lack both empathy and reasoning skills they also lack maturity.

• May 13, 2018 at 6:32 pm

Yes! Nothing I have read is as clear and concise as this explanation. Thank You!

• June 10, 2018 at 2:22 pm

I’m in a long overdue divorce with a narcissist. It is a living hell. I have become the identified patient in the family and his pursuit in parental alienation is criminal. It actually is. I believe domestic abusers are narcissist/sociopaths. Emotional, psychological and financial abuse by law is illegal, on paper. But bc it doesn’t carry broken bones or bruises with it, there is no accountability.
    And re the last comment that they CAN parent. The reference to parenting is in the terms of parenting well. Not just showing up and providing physical basic needs. Anyone can do that. It’s how you guide, or lead by example thats the crux of parenting. Values, respect for others, being teachable, humility….The emotional damage becomes cyclical.

• October 31, 2018 at 10:11 am

In my experience my ex narc don’t want to have kids. He told me that kids are just headache and whenever there are kids, expect that there is always chaos. Kids are so messy and noisy. And he hates to see my cuddling my kids and buying things for them. Whenever my kids did something wrong, he wants me to punish them by silent treatment which I cannot do, that’s why he was so pissed off.

• November 1, 2018 at 1:44 am