4 thoughts on “Parental Alienation: What NOT to do if you are the Targeted Parent of a Narcissist

• January 8, 2019 at 5:09 pm

a person will need to have a very strong sense of self,appropriate boundaries and support networks in place in order to do these things; for someone who has been in the thrall of a narcissist this is asking a lot.

• February 13, 2019 at 1:37 am

Oh how I wish I had joined this group over two and half years ago.

I was oblivious to what their dad was frequently telling him.

Eventually, our daughter refused to visit when she was 16. She said he was a racist, a homophobe, dishonest, and did not respect women, including her. Additionally, his anger outbursts scared her.

Conversely, our 16 yo son absolutely worships his daddy. The canceled plans, no overnights, begging to spend more time – all shot down. Dad blames his girlfriend with whom he lives, and our son believes all this manipulative behavior his dad demonstrates while Dad won’t let him even live with him??

Geesh, did I completely fail the “What NOT to do list…” 🙄

I hope we can educate others in the early stages of the alienation. Knowledge is POWER.

Thank you for sharing!

• February 16, 2019 at 9:32 am

This was very helpful to me as I find that my ex narc is now targeting my children in order to convince them that I am the narcissist. My evidence in this is how they are constantly “testing” me and also how my daughter showed the exact same abusive slap-in-the-face behavior when I asked to discuss some behavior that she exhibited that was totally unacceptable- she is now stonewalling. When my ex used to do that to me after I had to ask some tough questions about finances and who he was spending his evenings with (hint, hint) he would evade me and just stare coldly at me. My reaction was one that was not effective and that was to ask even more questions, leading him to accuse me of being “over emotional, nagging and not being able to let anything go”. I eventually detached from him which is what he wanted all along. I am not willing to detach from my child. Very maddening now that my daughter thinks it acceptable to walk away or not answer when I talk to her either in response to a difficult situation I have to parent her about or just randomly as she is a teenager.

• April 12, 2019 at 11:02 am

Wow! Great article, wish that I had this in my tool chest when I was married to my ex. I think I knew she was a narcissistic and I thought I could help her. I was diagnosed with ALS in 2012, cheated on in 2016 and am now free from her. I am so concerned that my adult children are to weak to be able to identify that what their mother has told them. Regardless of what they hear, I am very saddened that they choose to not spend any time with me. I have a grandchild that I have not met yet. If you have any other advice I would love to hear how I can fix my situation.