7 thoughts on “Traits Narcissists Appreciate in their Targets

• January 13, 2020 at 11:46 pm

I have lived with one for 38 yrs this July. Had counseling for 39 yrs now I can’t even live with him.

• January 14, 2020 at 1:16 am

Yep, eventually you realize you have to rescue yourself.

• January 16, 2020 at 11:08 am

My past exerience tells me that my younger sister (53 y.o.) is trying to make me feel excluded by using knowing smiles (i.e.secret joke) immediately after bringing up my insecurities/past painful events. Each time, she gets more family members to smirk or laugh with her, all in my presence. Flat affect and immobility, staring at her, is my “response”. This social exclusion hurts, and what’s worse is I think she might be a “golden child” helping to ostracize me while my mom watches her own aggression toward me played out. I am afraid of wrongly saying anything, and if I’m onto something I don’t want to be invalidated by an original family of 6 others. I didn’t see my sis when she was recently in town; I wanted to think about what I’d say to her next time she does it, and I don’t want to let it pass again. (In DBT the interpersonal skills scared me, and I chose avoidance.) This article helped me see that thinking about my response first is a good thing, and that I have wisdom that I can trust.

• January 16, 2020 at 11:37 am

Wow, how sad that a sister has to be so petty and hurtful to a sibling.

• January 17, 2020 at 1:06 pm

Recovery from abuse is very necessary but difficult to locate therapists who work w Narcissism and the lifelong impact it has on people.I have been in a family of origin Narcissistic supply circle for over 5 decades! in early 40’s realized what it was but cont to comply fro various reasons. You have to realize that the wounds that created Narcissism will not heal in the N perpetuator and you need to do a self harm accessment to prevent Self abuse like substance use, compulsive behaviors etc try to find other adult children of N that will help w self affirmation through kindred affliation and try to find therapists like Sharrie. I am still healing but feel that much of my past has been processed but the PTSD still lingers-certaintly, the gas lighting that is exper by the narcisssitic supply can lead to ptsd and its import to have resilience to reality test for reconfirmation of your identity, values and personal safety

• January 18, 2020 at 8:10 pm

These traits came from the research of The Institute for Relational Harm Reduction & Public Pathology Education and Purdue University, and should be cited as such…

• January 20, 2020 at 1:05 am

They did? Well, I did not cite that source because I did not read it. This information is probably common sense to anyone who studies narcissism.